PW Joyce Irish Music Microsite
An online microsite presenting the published and unpublished work on Irish music of Patrick Weston Joyce (1827–1914), the Co Limerick educationalist, popular historian and writer on Irish placenames, and one of the great collectors of Irish traditional music.
The microsite currently includes
- Introductions to PW Joyce and to his work in Irish traditional music
- Facsimiles of his contributions to the published collections of George Petrie, 1855−1905; and to AP Graves' Irish Folk-Songs, 1897
- Facsimiles of his four published collections, 1873−1909
- Facsimiles of his three unpublished manuscripts, 1858−1914 (courtesy National Library of Ireland)
- Facsimiles of his ballad-sheet collection, 19th century (courtesy Dublin City Library & Archive)
- Facsimiles of three articles written by Joyce, published in the Journal of the Irish Folk Song Society
- The first scientific and extended consideration of his music collecting, in the form of a thesis written in the mid-1960s by Catherine Hegarty
- Other miscellanea, including obituaries and a dedication to Joyce
- Interactive music scores for audio playback and printing of more than 1,600 melodies contained in the published and unpublished collections (created by ITMA staff, 2014).
These are all accessible from the menu on the left. Further sections will be added to the microsite at intervals during the course of this Joyce centenary year of 2014.