PW Joyce Irish Music Microsite
An online microsite presenting the published and unpublished work on Irish music of Patrick Weston Joyce (1827–1914), the Co Limerick educationalist, popular historian and writer on Irish placenames, and one of the great collectors of Irish traditional music.
The microsite currently includes
- Introductions to PW Joyce and to his work in Irish traditional music
- Facsimiles of his contributions to the published collections of George Petrie, 1855−1905; and to AP Graves' Irish Folk-Songs, 1897
- Facsimiles of his four published collections, 1873−1909
- Facsimiles of his three unpublished manuscripts, 1858−1914 (courtesy National Library of Ireland)
- Facsimiles of his ballad-sheet collection, 19th century (courtesy Dublin City Library & Archive)
- Facsimiles of three articles written by Joyce, published in the Journal of the Irish Folk Song Society
- Typescript of thesis on Joyce music manuscripts by Catherine Hegarty, 1966
- Miscellanea, including obituaries and a dedication to Joyce
- Interactive music scores for audio playback and printing of some 1,700 melodies contained in Joyce's published and unpublished collections (created by ITMA staff, 2014)
- Video re-creations of items from Joyce's collections by musicians and singers of the present day.
Website Áine Ní Bharáin; Research & text Nicholas Carolan; Digitisation Áine Ní Bharáin, Maeve Gebruers, Treasa Harkin, National Library of Ireland (NLI); Filming Danny Diamond, Brian Doyle; Film editing Piaras Hoban, Treasa Harkin, Danny Diamond; Interactive music setting Jackie Small; Document supply ITMA, NLI, Dublin City Library & Archive (DCL&A). With thanks also to Colette O’Flaherty, NLI; Máire Kennedy, DCL&A; Margaret Hayes, Dublin City Librarian; Robert & Linda Dwyer Joyce; performers Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, Liam O’Connor, Seán Corcoran, Máire O’Keeffe, Pádraig Ó Cearbhaill, Jimmy O’Brien Moran.